The Office of Animal Resources at Harvard University and the Center for Comparative Medicine at MGH have agreed on the quarantine policies for GMF mice between these two institutions. They are as follows:
Express Quarantine at MGH
Mice produced in the GMF for MGH investigators will be subject to Express Quarantine at MGH. This process consists of the following steps:
- Mice will be transferred to the MGH quarantine at 3-4 weeks of age.
- Samples from the mice will be collected at MGH and tested. Results from the analysis are expected to come out within 2-3 weeks.
- Provided that the analysis data is negative, transgenic/chimera animals will be transferred to the barrier at MGH at around 6 weeks of age, in effect obviating any delays to establish research colonies.
No Quarantine is required for mice produced in the GMF within the BRI at Harvard University for transfer to other animal rooms of FAS.
Local Quarantine requirements are in place for GMF mice that will be transferred to:
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital
- Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston
- Children's Hospital
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Harvard Medical School
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Other Institutions within the US or abroad