The Office of Animal Resources at Harvard University and the Center for Comparative Medicine at MGH have agreed on the quarantine policies for GMF mice between these two institutions. They are as follows:
Express Quarantine at MGH
Mice produced in the GMF for MGH investigators will be subject to Express Quarantine at MGH. This process consists of the following steps:
- Mice will be transferred to the MGH quarantine at 3-4 weeks of age.
- Samples from the mice will be collected at MGH and tested. Results from the analysis are expected to come out within 2-3 weeks.
- Provided that the analysis data is negative, transgenic/chimera animals will be transferred to the barrier at MGH at around 6 weeks of age, in effect obviating any delays to establish research colonies.
No Quarantine is required for mice produced in the GMF within the BRI at Harvard University for transfer to the barrier facilities at:
- Harvard School of Public Health
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston
Standard Quarantine requirements are still in place for GMF mice that will be transferred to:
- Children's Hospital
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Joslin Diabetes Center